We Created Change Together
#SheInspiresMe LIVE was back for a day of inspiring talks and interactive workshops: we brought our global community together, shared ideas and skills, and got energised to transform our world in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Together, we reflected on the unmissable opportunity we have to build a “new normal” for future generations.
#SheInspiresMe LIVE 2.0: on the day
We assembled an incredible line-up of over 20 women changemakers to help us answer the question:
The day started with an inspiring conversation between founder of Women for Women International Zainab Salbi and Annie Lennox. They shared what first inspired them to stand up and take action, and their top tips for getting started in activism. ⠀
We had the pleasure of listening and learning from cutting-edge journalists and authors Yomi Adegoke, Christina Lamb, Tahmina Begum and Soraya Chemaly.
Incredible women like the editor of Stylist Lisa Smosarski and filmmaker Basma Khalifa shed light on how to turn your passion into a career, and author of Playing it Big, Tara Mohr shared her insight on how to take up more space and improve your leadership skills.
We all know that to create change we need to take care of our minds and bodies, so Jayne Hardy, founder of The Blurt Foundation, delivered a much-needed session on mental health and resilience and Jasmine Hemsley provided a relaxing sound bath meditation.
- Zainab Salbi, founder of Women for Women International
- Laurie Adams, CEO of Women for Women International
- Alice Rivers-Cripps, founder of Posh Totty Designs
- Annie Lennox, singer-songwriter, political activist and philanthropist
- Amika George, activist and founder of the #FreePeriods campaign
- Audry Shematsi, Country Director, Women for Women International - Democratic Republic of Congo
- Arts Sisterhood, affordable DIY art therapy for women
- Basma Khalifa, filmmaker, writer, Women for Women International Ambassador
- Buki Onyishi, Country Director, Women for Women International - Nigeria
- Christina Lamb OBE, foreign correspondent and author
- Dr Pragya Agarwal, behavioural scientist, author of 'Sway: Unravelling Unconscious Bias' and director of research think-tank 'The 50 Percent Project'
- Hannah Bond, Director of Gender Action for Peace and Security (GAPS)
- Jasmine Hemsley, cook, author, wellness expert and Women for Women International Ambassador
- Jayne Hardy, founder and CEO of The Blurt Foundation
- Jude Wanga, writer, editor, women’s rights campaigner and Women for Women International Ambassador
- Lisa Smosarski, Editor-in-Chief of Stylist
- Martha Awojobi, #CharitySoWhite committee member and organiser
- Sara Tasker, photographer, entrepreneur and social media expert
- Sarah Powell, founder of Celebrate Yourself
- Scarlett V Clark, founder of Smart Girl Tribe
- Shan Sherwan Hussein, Economic Empowerment Manager, Women for Women International - Iraq
- Sophie Turner, actress and Women for Women International Ambassador
- Soraya Chemaly, award-winning writer and media critic
- Tahmina Begum, editor of xxymagazine and freelance journalist for Refinery29, Dazed, I-D, Riposte, Glamour, New Arab, HuffPost, Metro
- Tara Mohr, founder of ‘Playing Big’ leadership programme for women
- Yomi Adegoke, multi-award winning journalist, co-author of bestseller Slay in Your Lane
- Zainab Gbobaniyi, Lawyer and Advocacy Trainer, Women for Women International - Nigeria
Meet our co-hosts
Brita and Shivonne co-hosted a packed day of inspiring talks and interactive workshops, bringing our global community together, sharing ideas and skills, and getting energised to transform our world in the wake of the current crisis.
#SheInspiresMe LIVE 2.0 was generously supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery
One of the #SheInspiresMe LIVE attendees, Rosie Fitzgerald, shares her experiences from our first ever Feminist Festival, which was full of inspiring talks and hands-on workshops to energise a new generation of changemakers.
Back in June, we held our #SheInspiresMe LIVE event, packed with great speakers, workshops, and discussions. We compiled this reading list for everyone who is looking to further explore their ideas, learn something new, or needs a gentle nudge to get started on their plan of action.
Sign up to our mailing list, and lend your voice to create a chain of inspiration. Together we will use the power of our collective voice to support women in war-torn countries, the most vulnerable women in the world.