Players of People's postcode lottery SUPPORTING WOMEN IN THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
RESPONDING TO THE INTENSIFYING CHALLENGES FACING WOMEN IN THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
In early 2018, we were delighted to receive support from players of People’s Postcode Lottery to significantly expand our services for women survivors of war in Iraq.
Thanks to the funding, we were able to support the set-up of a new office in Erbil and provide an initial cohort of 300 women with training through our social and economic empowerment programme.
In 2019, we renewed our partnership to support marginalised women in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where Women for Women International has helped to train over 98,000 women affected by violence and extreme poverty since 2004.
Over the year, 400 marginalised women were supported through our training programme in DRC, building profound bonds of friendship and solidarity with each other.
Through a powerful article published by the Independent in June 2019, we were able to help elevate the voices of women in DRC who have been affected by sexual violence.
In 2020, we are delighted to once more join forces with the players of the People’s Postcode Lottery to continue our transformative work with women survivors of war in DRC.
An award of £250,000 from Postcode Equality Trust, funded entirely by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, will enable us to support 350 more vulnerable women, and 50 male allies, through our tried and tested holistic training programmes.
Over the year, women will come together in groups of 25 to gain vital information about health, nutrition and hygiene, develop an understanding of their legal and human rights and build vital vocational and business skills by which to sustain an income through entrepreneurship or employment.
Regular classes enable groups to form tight social circles of support, breaking the isolation created by conflict and insecurity, and promoting unity and powerful bonds between women who have often experienced multiple traumas.
We will also work with male community and religious leaders in DRC to create an enabling environment for women’s empowerment and include them in the journey towards equality.
Women for Women International know from experience that it is essential to work with men in order to ensure the success of our programmes.
In addition to this exciting continuation of our work in DRC, we are thrilled to have been awarded an extra award of £200,000 raised by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, which will be used to build our organisational communications and business development capacity over the coming year.
By investing in our people and processes, Women for Women International will greatly enhance our ability to reach and effectively serve many more thousands of marginalised women with our programmes.
International Women's Day 2019
For International Women's Day 2019, we asked our supporters to send a message of sisterhood to a woman survivor of war. Watch Paulina's message travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo and be received by Pelagia, a programme participant on our year-long programme in the DRC which is generously supported by players of the People's Postcode Lottery.
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People's Postcode Lottery manages multiple charity lotteries (also known as society lotteries). Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally.
- A minimum of 32% goes directly to charities and players have raised £382 million to date for good causes across the country.
- £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes.
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000.
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5.
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under licences number: 000-000829-N-102511-014 and Number: 000-000829-R-102513-013. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR.
- For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society.
- Learn more about responsible play including self-exclusion, GamCare, and GambleAware.